ASK is happy to announce that classes will resume for students of all ages starting Monday September 27, 2021 at Schafer Karate in the Shawnessy Barn.
The class times will be as follows:
Mondays – 5:30pm-6:15pm Beginners Class
Mondays – 6:15-7:00pm Intermediate Class
Wednesday’s- 5:30pm-6:15pm Beginners Class
Wednesdays – 6:15-7:00pm Intermediate Class
Due to AHS Covid restrictions
The ASK welcomes all Coaches, Sensei’s Volunteers, Officials and Competitors to the 2021 Calgary Open Shotokan Cup.
Date: Saturday October 2, 2021
Location: 11024 Oakfield Dr SW (Cedarbrae Community Center)
Registration Deadline: September 24, 2021
Download the registration Package
There are still some guidelines the Dojo’s will be following which include:
- Students will be distanced from each other at 2 meters distance
- When possible please wear your mask entering and exiting the Dojo, students may still wear a wear in class if they want.
- Enhanced hygiene, cleaning and sanitation measures in the dojo should still continue
- Please bring a COVID-19 WAIVER completed to every class for contract tracing,
(One waiver per family is acceptable)
- Programs for participants who are not yet of age for vaccine eligibility (11&U) should be run with additional preventative
measures such as:
- Additional limits on group sizes
activities that involve frequent or reoccurring close contact (ie. sparring)
- Consideration for activities can be done outside
We ask that all students complete the COVID 19 waiver before every class.
The ASK is seeking two individuals to join the Board of Directors to fill the Vice President and Treasurer roles. These roles are important to the Association as they help develop, implement and monitor policies that will allow the organization to run effectively and efficiently. They also help over see the operation and casino accounts.
Each role requires between 1-4 hours a month of time. We are very lucky to have a strong team that works to support one another when decisions arise.
We would like to thank Darryl Morrison and Shoko Kokame for volunteering as Board members and offering to help transition the roles over to new volunteers.
If you are interested or know someone who is, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
Arriving at Training:
The ASK has been monitoring the COVID-19 situation and are happy to announce that indoor training will start again in October 2020. There are so major changes that will be coming up and we ask everyone to be patient and understanding as the Dojo’s reopen.
We are happy to have three ASK Dojo’s that will be running in October, please pay specific attention to the date and times for each.
Dalhouse Dojo – Classes Starting October 1, 2020 (5432 Dalhart Rd NW, Calgary, AB)
Tuesday – 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Thursday – 7:00pm – 8:00pm
Chinook Park – Classes Starting October 2, 2020 (1015 73 Ave SW, Calgary, AB)
Friday – 7:30 – 8:30pm in the Gym
Sunday – 1:00 – 2:00pm in the Multipurpose Room (THIS TIME COULD CHANGE in the near future)
Waza-Ari – Classes Starting October 5, 2020 (224 Shawmeadows Road SW Calgary, AB)
Monday – 5:30- 6:15pm
Wednesday – 5:30 – 6:15pm (The Intermediate class will not be starting till Nov)
Effective January 1, 2021 – there will be a price change.
Students 12 and younger – $200 / 3 months training
Students 12 – 18 – $220 / 3 months training
Students over 18 – $240 / 3 months training
It is required you review the COVID-19 Policy, this will be developing as guidelines change from the government and Alberta Health Services.
Association of Shotokan Karate COVID Guidelines – 2020 Phase 2
The ASK will be reopening indoor training in Calgary October 1, 2020 and in order to proceed with a safe training environment the following COVID Policy will be in place. We are taking extra precautions to make sure individuals are able to train in a healthy and safe space.
Students will need to complete the ASK Checklist for COVID-19 every week in order to enter the dojo. These must be signed by a parent of a minor or a student who is over 18 years old.
Arriving at Training:
- Students must wear a mask into the building and into the dojo’s. They are not required during training.
- All students are encouraged to remain respectful of the personal space of others.
- Please stay in your respective area in the dojo (some facilities might have taped sections for you to remain in).
- Parents are asked not to stay unless necessary for the student to help minimize interaction and space capacity.
- No Loitering.
- Wear your mask to exit the dojo and the facility.
- Thoroughly wash any materials brought to class including water bottles, clothing, equipment and gi’s.
All Banzai and Waza-ari students and immediate family are invited to come out for a fun night of 5-pin bowling, pizza, and trophy presentations!
- Sunday, December 15, 3:30-7:30 (bowling from 4-6 pm)
- Mountain View Bowl, #11 3919 Richmond Rd SW
- $20 per bowler (incl. 2 hr of bowling, pizza and 1 drink. This fee is needed to offset the cost of nearly $40/bowler)
- $10 per non-bowler (to offset additional food costs). If you don’t plan to eat or bowl, feel free to attend at no charge.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Sensei Chris Walker, sandan (3rd dan), is the chief instructor for the Association of Shotokan Karate and ASK member club Banzai Karate. Sensei Walker has over 30 years of experience in training, competing and coaching. He was a member of the Karate Alberta Association Provincial Team from 1985 to 2004, representing the Province of Alberta in national karate championships for approximately 19 years. During the same period he represented Canada in international competitions and competed for his own club across North and Central America, Asia, Europe and Russia.
Sensei Walker has been retired from active competition since 2004. He holds a certificate from the National Coaching Certification Program and is an assistant coach with the Karate Alberta Association. In addition to time spent teaching classes at each dojo, Sensei Walker spends hundreds of hours each year supporting athletes from his dojo at Karate Alberta Association team training sessions, regional, provincial, national and international tournaments and training camps offered to Association of Shotokan Karate members only.